Director of External Affairs
Reports to: President
Position summary: This position manages all fundraising, events, marketing, communications, PR and other community outreach for The Josselyn Center. The Director manages all External Affairs staff (currently including: Operations Manager, Grant and Communications Manager, Events and Advancement Officer and an Administrative Assistant)
- Develops the Fundraising Plan for Annual (Operating) and Capital Budget,
including strategies for personal, corporate, foundation and civic solicitations from both current donors and prospects.
- Oversees Communications Manager in the development and implementation of the Marketing and Communications plan.
- Manages the successful completion of the Capital Campaign.
- Recruits and hires staff as required.
- Oversees major gifts activates and manages process of identifying donor prospects and determining appropriate solicitation strategies.
- Oversees grant activities: supervises Grants and Communications Manager with the successful completion of grant applications and stewardship.
- Oversees department operations: Assists the Operations Manager with the reconciliation between external operations and administration, Salesforce administration and website maintenance.
Assists in recruiting, onboarding and stewardship for Board of Directors and Trustees.
Attends Board and various Board Committee meetings
- Staff liaison to the Auxiliary, Associates and Junior Boards
- Serves as member of Senior Management Team
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree in business preferred
- 10 plus years of progressive and successful professional experience in the field of development / fundraising or sales.
- 5 plus years of management experience preferred
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, organizational and written communication skills
- Willingness and ability to work effectively under deadlines, handle multiple projects and tasks within a team concept
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences and demonstrated skills in listening, engaging and building rapport with people
- Experience with salesforce or comparable system
- Experience managing budgets and producing financial documents
- Appreciation for details and follow through; must be action-oriented
- Strong connections to the Josselyn community preferred